In another shocking story of Catholic overstep and church-funded horror, a mass grave for hundreds of children has recently been found on the grounds of a former Catholic church home in Ireland.
The home, in Ireland’s Galway County, was previously under investigation for a series of illegal baby experiments when underground chambers were discovered.
In those chambers? Human remains – of babies and young children.
Investigators uncovered both a large sewage tank filled with rubble and a second large structure underground that contained 20 different chambers. Large quantities of human remains were then found in seventeen of the twenty chambers – remains since identified only as belonging to infants and small children – ranging from thirty-five fetal weeks to, at oldest, only a few years old.
The home, a “Mothers and Baby Home” run by the Catholic church, was in operation from 1925 to 1961; most of the remains found so far seem to date back to the 1950s.
“Mother and Baby” facilities were frequently run by the Catholic church to house unwed pregnant women, who were ostracized by both their community and their church, and were infamously cruel to their inmates.
Local historian Catherine Corless spent years researching the home and was instrumental in the discovery of the mass grave.
“If you look at the records, babies were dying two a week, but I’m still trying to figure out how they could [put the bodies in a septic tank],” Corless told the Irish Mail in 2014. “Couldn’t they have afforded baby coffins?”
People in Tuam first learned of the mass interment in the 1970s when two boys accidentally uncovered skeletons when they broke apart a concrete slab covering part of the grave. However, it was resealed and remained untouched for decades.
Speaking on RTÉ radio on Friday afternoon, Corless said that during her research “everything pointed” to this area being a mass grave, but despite this, she was told to leave it alone.She also said she believes the graveyard extends further overground where remains are buried in coffins and called for the whole area to be investigated. “This is only the start,” she concluded.
The Bon Secours Sisters, the order which used to run the home, said in a statement that they could make no comment on the announcement.
If you enjoyed this article or learned something new, please don’t forget to share it with others so they have a chance to enjoy this free information. This article is open source and free to reblog or use if you give a direct link back to the original article URL. Thanks for taking the time to support an open source initiative. We believe all information should be free and available to everyone. Have a good day and we hope to see you soon!
Please follow and like us: