Approximately 37 million Americans are suffering from hearing loss and the impairment is caused by many factors and existing conditions that affect the emotional, social, and medical well-being of the person.
Once the world around you goes silent, it causes distress, frustration, and pain. Thus it is highly significant to understand the causes and sign of hearing loss. The technology can help the patients with hearing loss to live healthier lives, however, one needs to be cautious of these signs and symptoms.
What are the causes of hearing loss?
Many factors can contribute to this condition and those are:
- Illness or infections like measles, syphilis, mumps, and meningitis
- Having something stuck in your ear;
- Eardrum trauma;
- Ear infections;
- Loud noise;
- Meniere’s disease (an inner ear disorder which causes ringing in the ears, dizziness, and hearing that goes in and out);
- Cholesteatoma (skin growth through a hole in the eardrum);
- Autoimmune disorders;
- Some medications;
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of hearing loss can occur gradually, or they might come quickly and forcefully. Even though you can cope with some of them, it is very important to seek a medical assistance in case you recognize any signs of hearing loss.
Asking for people to repeat things they have said often;
- Having problems understanding what people say and getting frustrated as you cannot understand them.
- Ringing in the ears;
- Dizziness or vertigo;
- Pressure/pain in one or both of the ears;
- Have the volume turned up high on the radio, TV, etc.;
- Feel anxious about meeting new people because you have difficulty following conversations;
Treatments for hearing loss
There are many ways of treating this issue like hearing aids which amplify the sound, helping the person with hearing loss. Moreover, there are assisted living devices that can assist the patient communicate even through media and the phone. Many technological breakthroughs available can help.
Please follow and like us: