It’s nice to see people become more concerned about their health, and plant their own fruits, veggies, herbs, etc.
But, we always need some extra space in our garden, and some of us are “lucky” enough to live in a small apartment. So, what can we do to change this?
We suggest that you try our awesome idea, and use every bit of your porch and garden. All you have to do is grow your plants vertically! Yes, you got that one right.
We’ll teach you how to make your drip-irrigating garden towers using soda bottles. In this way you’ll be able to grow your herbs, small veggies, and flowers.
Just follow our simple instructions, and enjoy your private garden:
Step 1: Make the base for your tower
- Cut out the base of a soda bottle, but make sure you preserve some of the bottom curve, so the bottles “nest” together well. Get rid of the base.
- Pierce two drainage holes on the opposite sides of the bottle, preferably three inches off the cap. Use scissors to do that. Remember, you need tiny holes.
- Add in your potting mixture, compost or garden soil, and press lightly. Don’t fill your bottle to the top, leave an inch of free space.
- Secure the base of your vertical tower onto a fence or wires.
Step 2: Build your tower
- Do the same with your other bottles. Remove the cap as well.
- Fill the bottle with soil, and again, leave an inch of free space.
- Nest the bottle onto the base, and secure it.
- Repeat this with 1-3 bottles.
Step 3: It’s time to “build” the drip-irrigation system
- Cut a soda bottle in half, preferably a midway to the cap. This will be your watering funnel.
- Place it on top of your vertical tower, and “nest” it firmly in the soil.
- Cut the bottom of your last bottle, and now you have your watering bottle.
- Make a one mm hole in the cap.
- Place your watering bottle onto the funnel.
- Draw a square onto each bottle, and cut the top and the sides of your 2-inch square. The uncut bottom side will help you hold the soil in.
- Poke a hole, and plant your seeds or seedling. Fill your watering bottle every few days.
Your vertical planting tower is ready!
If you need a few ideas on what to plant, check our suggestions:
- Dandelion greens (taraxacum)
Here’s the list of item you need for your vertical planting towel:
- 5 (or more) 2-liter soda bottles
- Box cutter/Knife
- Twine / Baling wire (3 feet)
- Chain link fence / Wire frame / Other supporting structure
- 3 seedlings / Seeds for your plants
Stay healthy and positive! Share and make your loved ones aware!
Source: Diet to Life