Did you know that your feet can tell a lot about you? It goes without saying that well-groomed feet are the mark of a proud and confident woman, and the opposite is not.
But guess what? You don’t have to spend time and money to get beautiful and whiter feet. All you need to do is some home remedies and a DIY pedicure at home.
Home Remedies To Whiten Dark Feet
- Lemon: This is a natural bleach to whiten dark skin. Be it sun tan on the arms, shoulders, face or feet, you can massage with lemon juice for few minutes to get rid of the dark skin. Most of the times, dead skin forms a dark layer over the skin. Thus, lemon juice can be an effective home remedy to treat dark feet naturally.
- White vinegar: Add few drops of white vinegar to your pedicure solution. A pedicure at home can be done with hot water, lemon juice, glycerin, salt and white vinegar. This pedicure helps in lightening the dark feet and keeps it soft too. Glycerin softens the skin and keeps it moisturised whereas lemon and salt acts as exfoliators.
- Gram flour and turmeric paste: Bengal gram flour (besan) can be used as a skin care product at home. Just mix gram flour with turmeric powder. Add yoghurt and few drops of lemon juice to the powder and make a paste of it. Apply on the feet and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Hot oil massage: The feet becomes dry and looks rough. This is because the feet has no oil glands. So, it is very important to care for your feet by moisturising it regularly. A hot oil massage not only moisturises the skin but also helps in removing dead skin and also cleanse it. Massage your feet with hot or warm oil to remove dirt from the skin folds. Follow up with a feet scrub and moisturise after washing the feet. Sesame seed oil is the best home remedy to whiten dark feet.
- Coconut water: If you have sun tan on your feet, you can massage it with coconut water. This is one effective home remedy to get rid of sun tan. Massage your feet with coconut water for 10-15 minutes before taking bath.
How To Do A Pedicure At Home
1. Prep Your Nails
- Using a nail paint remover, remove the old nail polish with a cotton ball/pad.
- Then, clip your nails using a nail cutter, but make sure you cut across straight.
- Use a nail filer to shape the nail to the desired shape. File in a single direction to get the desired shape.
2. Soak Your Feet
This is probably the most relaxing bit of the pedicure. Soaking your feet in warm, fragrant water is a great way to relax and unwind after a stressful day.
- Fill up some warm water in a tub to cover your ankles. If you want it plain and simple, you can just add shampoo and a few crystals of rock salt into the liquid. This will soften and soothe inflammations, reduce any kind of pain, and reduce roughness. It also acts as an exfoliator.
- Add the juice of an entire lemon, and a drop or two of shampoo as well.
- You can also add a few drops of essential oil if you have any at home. These usually calm the nerves and give your feet the spa treatment they deserve.
- Dry your feet with a towel.
3. Scrub Your Feet
- Once your feet are dry, massage a little cuticle cream on the base of your toenails.
- While the cream softens the dead skin, scrub your skin using a pumice stone. This will remove the rough, dry, and dead skin. If you do not remove this from time to time, the skin will harden, causing cracks and infection.
- Once this is done, remove the cuticle cream, and push your cuticles with an angled cuticle pusher. Never cut your cuticles. This removal of the cuticle helps your nail grow and promotes healthy nails.
- Scrub your nails using a nail scrubber. Quickly wipe your feet with a towel.
- Now, use a scrub to exfoliate your feet. You could use a foot scrub or a face scrub for this. Scrub your heels, soles, and don’t forget the areas between your toes, and the sides of your feet. Scrub your ankles too.
4. Moisturize Your Feet
- Massage your feet, ankles, and calf muscles for about 10 minutes using any heavy mositurizer.
- You can also use a mixture of almond oil and olive oil to massage your feet post the cleaning process. A teaspoon of each mixed with a few drops of your favorite essential oil serves as a great foot massager. Regular massages stimulate your nerve endings and enhance blood circulation, therefore nourishing the skin and invigorating the foot muscles.
- Once you are happy, you can apply a fresh coat of nail polish on your feet.
5. Glam Up Your Nails
Once you are done with all the above steps, you can polish your nails with a nail color of your favorite shade. You can either apply a normal nail polish or even wear French tips.
- If you don’t have time to go through the entire scrubbing process regularly, you can scrub your feet with the pumice stone twice a week, while you are having a bath, to clear off the dead skin.
- Make sure you give your nails some breathing time by keeping them free of nail polish from time to time.
- If you notice any infection or blackening on your nails, consult your doctor immediately.