It may sound like a very bizarre treatment, but it works! According to Jamey Wallace, ND Clinic Medical Director at Bastyr Center for Natural Health it triggers the body’s defenses.
The procedure is known as a “heating compress,” meaning that it’s up to the body to heat the cold, wet socks, says Dr. Wallace. The body reacts to the cold socks by increasing blood circulation, which also stimulates the immune system.
You have to ‘rev up’ the immune system, so it’s ready for battle against the affliction or condition. This treatment acts to reflexively increase the circulation and decrease congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head and throat.
It also has a sedating action, and many patients report that they sleep much better during the treatment. The treatment is also effective for pain relief and increases the healing response during acute infections.
Make sure to do this at first sign of a cold for a few days in a row.
The Wet Sock Treatment: A Natural Remedy for Cold and Flu
You will need:
- A bucket
- A pair of thin cotton socks
- A pair of thick wool socks
1. Soak the pair of thin socks in the bowl of ice water. When the socks are completely wet, remove them from the water and squeeze out the water.
2. Place your feet into a bucket or bathtub of hot water to warm up your feet. Soak them for about 10 minutes until they are hot.
3. Remove your feet from the hot water and quickly dry them off. Immediately put on the cold wet cotton socks, then cover the wet socks with the dry wool socks.
4. Go straight to bed. Make sure your feet are covered at all times, otherwise the treatment will not work.
If you wish you can massage your feet with rosemary oil for added benefit. Rosemary oil will help greatly with circulation.
Please follow and like us: