Cosmetics have become the need of society. People spend monthly on these and the amount of variety is so high that cosmetics are available for different seasons and climates as well.
However, what people doesn’t know is that there are many harmful effects of using cosmetics
The dangers of modern cosmetic and makeup products is real and puts new meaning into the saying, “If looks could kill”
The Dangers Of Makeup Products
All makeup products, from foundations to setting powders, contain a great number of chemicals, some of which may even be dangerous to your health. These chemicals have the ability to penetrate the deeper layers of our skin and enter our bloodstream. If these chemicals happen to be toxic, then chronic exposure to them presents a significant health risk.
- Blushes contains FD&C Red #3, which caused human breast cells to grow, mimics the effect of natural estrogen at the molecular level and damages the genetic material of human breast cells.
- Eye shadows contains iron oxide, which although deemed safe by the FDA for use in the eye area, is a suspected carcinogen, teratogen or toxin.
- Eyeliners contains ascorbyl palmitate, and studies suggest that the palmitates are to be considered carcinogenic, mutagenic, or toxic.
- Mascaras may be contaminated with bacteria. Is also contains polyvinylpyrrolide (PVP), a carcinogen.
- Lipsticks contains paraffin, which is a mixture of hydrocarbons and is derived from petroleum. It is known to be contaminated with the carcinogens, benzo-a-pyrene and benzo-b-fluroanthene.
Other Harmful Chemicals Found By The BCF Study
Cadmium – A soft, bluish-white metal that studies have linked to kidney failure, bone disease, and even cancer. Cadmium was found in several branded products including powder eye shadows, cream eye shadows, eye primers, and foundations.
Toluene – A paint-thinner that can damage the nervous system and lead to neurological disorders such as dementia. Toluene is found in several nail products as well as some hair dyes.
Benzophenones – Used in products such as foundation to protect against UV light, benzophenones can cause allergic reactions such as skin rashes and even anaphylactic shock. These chemicals are also found in lip balms, nail polish, fragrances, shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, and baby sunscreens.
Parabens – These chemicals are added to cosmetic products to prevent bacteria overgrowth. However, Parabens are potential endocrine disruptors and have been found in breast cancer tissue raising further concerns.
Lead – A heavy metal present in a great number of makeup products, especially those with more pigment such as foundation, eye shadow, lipstick, and eyeliner. Lead is highly toxic when it entered the bloodstream and was found to cause neurological disorders, but also infertility and cancer.