In this Instagram likes driven society, it seems every other account is talking about authenticity.
Everyone wants to talk about how authentic they are – which seems to maybe miss the point. But how do you know who’s truly authentic – and who’s just talk?
How can you tell if someone is really authentic – or if they’re just all show? Consider this checklist of ten traits that can help you tell who’s authentic in who they are, as opposed to #authentic.
Check out the ten traits of a truly authentic person below, which will out an actually authentic person long before they get around to hashtagging a sweet social media post.
Truly authentic people show:
Truly authentic people show:
- Big picture focus. Of course, living in the present doesn’t mean ignoring that the future will come. Authentic people don’t have to give into the fear of missing out (FOMO) if it’ll sabotage something they want to do later. They won’t sell out their ethics for short-term gains or to be liked in the moment, either.
- Consistency. Authentic people are who they are, and they’re not going to try and be someone else to please you. They know who they are, and they’re not going to change that for you. If you can’t accept them for who they are, they’ll find other friends who do, because they know that life isn’t made for pleasing others or being liked.
- Courage. Authentic people don’t mind being unliked, and stick to their ideals no matter how unpopular. As a result, they tend to stand out – because they don’t feel any need to conform.
- Ethical character. Authentic people value their character more than being liked. They are dependable, honest, and loyal friends – and if you’re not those things? They won’t fear cutting you loose.
- Forgiveness. Authentic people know that we all make mistakes, and they’ll hope that when you make yours, you’ll learn from them, just as they learn from their mistakes. As a result, they don’t have a problem accepting people for who they are – as long as those people are honest with them. If you’re the kind of person who claim to be sorry for something, though, and then repeat that behavior? Authentic people are going to look right on past you and your sorry excuses.
- Grounded feet in the present. Authenticity means living life in the moment, not dwelling in the past nor looking past the present to long for the future. Our lives are short, and authenticity means making the most of each day.
- Honesty. Authentic people are unflinchingly honest, and call things as they see them. Because they aren’t insecure in who they are, and don’t feel the need to be liked, they won’t particularly care if you like what they have to say. What drives them isn’t being liked, but rather being the best possible version of themselves.
- Listening abilities. When you have something to say, your friends that are authentic take the time to listen, and ask questions to ensure they’re understanding you. They don’t just wait for a moment to cut in with something tangential – they actually want to take the time to hear you if they care about you.
- Self-reflection. Authenticity means being real with yourself, and being self-aware. Authentic people can own their mistakes – and then learn from them so they aren’t stuck repeating them.
- Self-respect. Authentic people do things because they believe those things are right, and won’t do anything that would cause them to lose respect for themselves afterward. They hold themselves accountable, which gives them integrity that many others may lack. And, if they see you lack that integrity? They’ll say as much, or otherwise write you out of their lives.
This article was written by Matt Stebbins for Organic and Healthy. If you enjoyed this article or learned something new, please don’t forget to share it with others so they have a chance to enjoy this free information. This article is open source and free to reblog or use if you give a direct link back to the original article URL and give author credit. Thanks for taking the time to support an open source initiative. We believe all information should be free and available to everyone. Have a good day and we hope to see you soon!
Please follow and like us: