Fabric softeners make our clothes and sheets almost instantly softer and more fragrant. However, these nifty products actually have very harmful chemicals are require care when using.
Below is the list of toxins found in fabric softeners.
1. Chloroform. Inhaling its vapors may cause unconsciousness, nausea, headache, vomiting, dizziness or drowsiness. It may also aggravate the risk of heart, kidney, or liver disorders, and the harmful effect worsens when heated.
2. Alpha Terpineol. This causes problems on the Central Nervous System (CNS)—to the brain and spine—such as Alzheimer’s disease, ADD, dementia, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, seizures, strokes, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. It can also harm mucous membranes and may cause respiratory depression, pneumonia or fatal edema.
3. Benzyl Alcohol. This also badly affects the CNS, and it may also cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and unfavorable drops in blood pressure.
4. Benzyl Acetate. Such substance has been linked to pancreatic cancer. It can also irritate the eyes and respiratory passages.
5. Ethanol. This has been included in the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and also harms the CNS.
6. Pentane. High levels of pentane can harm the respiratory tract and the CNS. It may also cause drowsiness, headache, dizziness, a burning sensation in the chest, unconsciousness, skin irritation, conjunctivitis, and in extreme cases comatose and death.
7. Ethyl Acetate. This element can irritate the eyes and respiratory tract. Severe headaches and unconsciousness are also likely to happen if exposed to Ethyl Acetate. It can also damage liver and kidneys.
8. Camphor. This is also in the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. While it is easily absorbed, it can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat, and may cause dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions.
9. Linalool. This chemical is a known narcotic and can cause respiratory problems and CNS disorders. In animal experiments, the use of this chemical has resulted to death.
10. Phthalates. A group of chemicals used to help that sweet scent of fabric softeners last longer. It is also used to soften and increase the flexibility of plastic and vinyl. This element has been linked to breast cancer and reproductive health failure.
11. Limonene. A compound that may cause irritation to eyes and skin
12. Reminder: If you’re a vegan, you should be aware that a lot of fabric softener products consist of tallow, a form of animal fat.
While fabric softeners were designed to hide the unpleasant smells of synthetic fabrics, it is better to go for safety precautions and be mindful of the health hazards it may bring.
What can you say about this list? Do you know any more harmful chemicals that fabric softeners contain? Share them with us in the comments section below.
Please follow and like us: